- 1 Leaks
- 2 Documents published by institutions
- 3 Reports
- 4 News articles and analysis by topic
- 4.1 General
- 4.2 Copyright
- 4.3 Data Protection
- 4.4 Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS)
- 4.5 Transparency, Obfuscation and Lobbying
- 4.6 Other (fracking etc)
- 4.7 Links to information on other Free Trade Agreements in Negotiation (TTP, CETA)
- 4.8 Other organisations working on this dossier
- 4.9 Marietje Schaake
- 4.10 FFII
- 4.11 Updates by Glyn Moody
- 4.12 Twitter accounts
Issues paper Communicating on TTIP – Areas for cooperation between the Commission services and Member States
The directives for the negotiation on TAFTA, as adopted by the Foreign Affairs Council (Trade) on 14 June 2013.
Leaked document from the EU negotiators related to Internet
Documents published by institutions
- EU Commssion's TAFTA website
- Hearing in JURI Committee of the European Parliament on the “Regulatory coherence and the implementation of EU law” in the context of TAFTA (video?) - 11 February 2014
- 'CETA' The EU's free trade agreement with Canada and its intellectual property rights provisions (August 2012)
- NSA snooping: MEPs table proposals to protect EU citizens' privacy - 12.2.2014
- UK Parliamentary proceedings on TTIP/TAFTA (search for TTIP in website to find reference) (25.2.2014)
- EU-US trade talks – fourth round to start in Brussels on Monday 10 March
- Website of the Office of the Unites Stated Trade Representative on TTIP/TAFTA
- European Commission : EU Commission - TAFTA - The Facts.pdf EU-US Trade Agreement – The Facts - 27 February 2014
- Speech of Karel De Gutch: Making the most of Europe – the EU's common commercial policy as a driver for growth - 21/02/2014
- Press Release: EU trade chief following EU-US trade deal stock taking: good progress, time to go the extra mile (fr) - 18 February 2014
- Announcement of the 4th round of negotiations - 28 January 2014
- Announcement of the start of a public consultation on investor-state dispute settlement planned for March 2014 - 21 January 2014
- Nicole Bricq's (French Minister for Foreign Trade) interveiw [fr] about TAFTA
- Press release of the EU Commission conluding the 2nd round of TAFTA - 15 November 2013
- The Econonic Analysis of the TAFTA explained by the EU Commission - September 2013
- Minutes of Civil Society Dialogue meeting - 22 July 2013
- Closing press briefing of the first round of TAFTA negotiations - 12 July 2013
- EU letter sent to the US Chief Trade Negotiators about transparency - 5 July 2013
- Press release of the Council of the EU, announcing the approbation of a mandate for the negotiation of a comprehensive trade and investment agreement with the United States - 14 June 2013
- European Parliament resolution on TAFTA, adopted in reaction to the massive spying by the USA - 23 May 2013
- US Gov Notification Letter - 20 March 2013
- Impact Assessment Report on the future of EU-US trade relations - Accompanying the document "Recommendation for a Council Decision authorising the opening of negotiations" - 12 March 2013
- Recommendations of the High Level Working Group, led by US Trade Representative Ron Kirk and EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht, emphasizing the need for a transatlantic trade agreement - 11 February 2013
- Opinion of the European Economic and Social Committee on ‘Transatlantic relations and the international promotion of the European social model’ - 17 February 2011
- Opinion of the European Economic and Social Committee on Transatlantic Relations: ‘How to improve the participation of civil society’ - 25 March 2009
- Report on legal implications of tafta for the acquis communautaire - Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee of the European Parliament - October 2013
This study discusses the potential impact of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership agreement on the EU acquis in the areas of the environment and food safety. It recommends, in particular, that the European Parliament pay very close attention to the precise wording of provisions regarding the environment, food safety, and investment set out in the final text to ensure that both parties are able to maintain the environmental and consumer protection standards they deem appropriate, as provided for in the European Commission’s negotiating mandate.
- Brave new transatlantic partnership - Seattle to Brussels Netword - October 2013
The proposed EU-US Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partners hip (TTIP/TAFTA), and its socio-economic & environmental consequences
- A transatlantic corporate bill of rights - investor privileges in EU-US trade deal threaten public interest - October 2013 (version FR)
The EU negotiating mandate for a far-reaching free trade agreement with the US reveals the European Commission’s plans to enshrine more powers for corporations in the deal. The proposal follows a persistent campaign by industry lobby groups and law firms to empower large companies to challenge regulations both at home and abroad if they affect their profits. As a result, EU member states could soon find domestic laws to protect the public interest challenged in secretive, offshore tribunals where national laws have no weight and politicians no powers to intervene. Read the updated version of our initial analysis from June this year.
DG Trade (PVM) presented the steps taken so far and the future ones in view of the discussion with the US on the IPR chapter.
Initial EU Position Papers
- Trade Cross-cutting disciplines and Institutional provisions
- Public Procurement
- Raw materials and energy
- Sanitary and phytosanitary issues
- Trade and sustainable development
- Technical barriers to trade
News articles and analysis by topic
- Fondation Copernic - Le grand marché transatlantique contre les peuples - 13.12.2013
- Wall Street Journal - Online Privacy Could Spark U.S.-EU Trade Rift (8.1.2014)
- EU Observer EU-US trade talks could become 'another Acta' - 18 December 2013
- EFF - TAFTA, the US-EU's Trojan Trade Agreement: Talks (and Leaks) Begin - 8 July 2013
- IP Watch - TTIP Leak Illustrates Depth Of “Enhanced Regulatory Cooperation” As NGOs Sound Off - 16 December 2013
- Propriété intellectuelle : la Commission outrepasse son mandat en négociant avec les industriels américains - 20 décembre 2013
- Tech Dirt - Not Learning From ACTA: IPR Protection And Enforcement Seen As 'Less Difficult Issue' For TAFTA/TTIP - 24 April 2013
- Investment agreements: A new threat to health and TRIPS flexibilities? - 27 June 2013
- Privacy International - Privacy is not a commodity to be traded - 21 June 2013
- Civil Society Declaration - “IP out of TAFTA” - 15 March 2013
Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS)
- Investor-to-state Dispute Settlement: A Threat To Democracy - 28 December 2013
- FFII - EU faces double whammy with investor-to-state dispute settlement - 12 December 2013
- Chaos Computer Club - Talk on ISDS delivered at 30C3
- [EN] EU faces double whammy with investor-to-state dispute settlement (12.12.2013)*
- [EN]  (*
Transparency, Obfuscation and Lobbying
- Corporate Europe Observatory - What are you hiding? The opacity of the EU-US trade talks - 17 February 2014
- Notat - Elected politicians excluded from EU-US negotiations - 19 December 2013
- Karel de Gucht in The Guardian - You're wrong, George Monbiot – there is nothing secret about this EU trade deal - 18 December 2013
- Corporate Europe Observatory - European Commissioner Šefčovič concerned about the growing presence of US law firms in Brussels expanding their lobbying presence as a result of the EU-US trade negotiations - 9 December 2013
- FFII - FFII website. European Parliament International Trade committee Chairman Vital Moreira "European Parliament waives the right to be informed" - 5 December 2013
- Arrêt sur images - Accords transatlantiques : "Ce secret est anormal" - 15 novembre 2013
- New York Times Lobbying Bonanza as Firms Try to Influence European Union - 18 Octoeber 2013
- New York Times - European Officials Consulted Business Leaders on Trade Pact - 8 October 2013
- Tech Dirt - UK Government Study Tries To Gloss Over TAFTA/TTIP's Problems With Impossibly Precise Figures - 26 September 2013
- Corporate Europe Observatory - Busting the myths of transparency around the EU-US trade dea (fr)- 25 September 2013
- Corporate Europe Observatory - European Commission preparing for EU-US trade talks: 119 meetings with industry lobbyists - 4 September 2013
- Corporate Europe Observatory - Unravelling the spin: a guide to corporate rights in the EU-US trade deal - 9 July 2013
Other (fracking etc)
- Corporate Observatory Europe - Accord UE-US : menaces sur la réglementation financière - 14 février 2014
- Partial list of TAFTA negotiators (help us to complete it!)
- Interview of Karel De Gutch about TAFTA
- TAFTA Crossborder Letter signed by nearly 100 organizations from the U.S. and the EU
- Audio recording of the stakeholders meeting after the 2nd round
Links to information on other Free Trade Agreements in Negotiation (TTP, CETA)
- [EN] US Fails to Close TPP Deal as Wikileaks Exposes Discord (10.12.2013)*
Other organisations working on this dossier
- Alliance D19 (Belge) http://www.d19-20.be/fr/
- TTIP FAQ of Marietje Schaake
- [EN] Michael Geist
- [DE] Website of German coalition against TAFTA*
- [EN] IP and privacy in TTIP / TAFTA (25.2.2014)
Updates by Glyn Moody
- Update XVII: Bad news, lots of leaks, plus debunking another misleading European Commission documents
- Update XVI: More details emerge on ISDS provisions, and a rather ironic call for transparency from the paranoid opaque USTR (United States Trade Representative)
- Update XV: There are growing calls to keep data protection out of TAFTA/TTIP - and to reject the agreement if the privacy of European citizens is not adequately protected.
- Update XIV: What new CETA leaks tell us about EU's plans to re-vamp ISDS - and why they aren't enough to protect European sovereignty or democracy
- Update XIII: Big news: EU pulls ISDS to allow unprecedented public consultation; UK report says ISDS in TTIP would bring little or no benefit.
- Update XII: Why the US Fast Track bill guarantees that TAFTA's ISDS chapter will be one-sided and unfair for EU companies.
- Update XI: So it looks like TAFTA/TTIP is, in fact, ACTA by the backdoor - despite what Mr De Gucht has said...
- Update X: Another (failed) attack, this time by Karel De Gucht, the EU's trade commissioner, who laughably tries to claim that there is no lack of transparency in the TAFTA negotiations, and that it's worth accepting the threats posed by ISDS.
- Update IX: How an astonishing attack on Corporate Europe Observatory reveals a floundering European Commission increasingly concerned that it is losing control of the TAFTA/TTIP debate.
- Update VIII: Lifting the lid on how a new transatlantic "TTIP Regulatory Council" would bring in massive deregulation, with a consequent lowering of food, health and environmental standards in Europe.
- Update VII: Yet another, increasingly desperate attempt to justify the unjustifiable inclusion of ISDS in TAFTA/TTIP, and why the arguments simply don't stand up to scrutiny.
- Update VI: An analysis of a leaked document outlining the European Commission's communication strategy for TAFTA/TTIP, and a look at how disastrous other trade agreements like NAFTA and KORUS have been.
- Update V: A discussion of a major Wikileaks document discussing intellectual monopolies in TAFTA/TTIP's sister agreement, TPP, and what it means for TTIP.
- Update IV: An exploration of how the public is kept in the dark over TAFTA/TTIP, and the dangrous asymmetries it contains.
- Update III: A point-by-point rebuttal of a document in which the European Commission tries to prove that the presence of investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) in TTIP is not a problem.
- Update II: An introduction to investor-state dispute resolution (ISDS), and why its presence in TAFTA/TTIP is a grave threat to European sovereignty, open source and the Internet.
- Update I: A review of the few details that emerged from the first round of negotiations, including an attempt by the European Commission to convince us that TAFTA/TTIP is not another ACTA.