How to act against ACTA: example phone call
From La Quadrature du NetJump to navigationJump to search
Here is an example phone call, to give you an idea of how such a conversation may go.
It is not intended to be directly reused as such, only to provide a guide, an example.
Remember, spontaneity is always better…
- YOU: Hello, I would like to talk to Mrs/Mr MEP, please.
- Assistant: Mrs/Mr MEP is not available, I am her/his assistant. Can I help you?"
- YOU: I am MyName, calling from MyCountry, I am very much concerned by the ACTA agreement.
- Assistant: I see. We had calls before. I have no time.
- YOU: But it is very important! The whole negotiations circumvented the democratic process and could radically alter the Internet and citizens' freedoms.
- Assistant: Don't worry. The text is not as bad as you've heard, everything will be fine.
- YOU: A paper by leading European law scholars shows that ACTA goes beyond the EU acquis. The ACTA agreement lets the Commission negotiate on civil and criminal sanctions. It is not just a trade agreement. The European Parliament must show its commitment to protecting EU citizens. Mrs/Mr MEP should help shape the INTA report to present this information against ACTA."
- Assistant: "I'll tell Mrs/Mr MEP."
- YOU: "Thank you very much for listening to me. If you wish, I can send you reference documents. I'll call you again shortly to know what he/she thought. Have a good day."