How to act against ACTA: example phone call
||The European Parliament rejected ACTA by a huge majority, today Wednesday 4th of July. Now, it is time to start a positive reform of copyright to adapt it to the digital era.
In this regard, La Quadrature du Net's platform of proposals provides a thorough analysis of the key stakes and a consistent set of proposals, for the copyright reform as well as related culture and media policy issues.
To ensure further victories and continued action, please support La Quadrature, by making a donation or by helping out.
To discuss ACTA, subscribe to our discussion list by sending a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We won't use your email for anything else.
You want to act against ACTA and are about to call your MEP and ask them to reject ACTA: great!
Remember, the counter-arguments to what your correspondant might answer can be very useful. Beyond ACTA, you could start an open discussion about the need to reform the EU copyright framework.
In a first time, you can look this video of a call, to give you an idea of how such a conversation may go.
It is not intended to be directly reused as such, remember, spontaneity is always better…
Generally, conversations look like that: Phone call
- YOU: Hello, I would like to talk to Mrs/Mr MEP, please.
- Assistant: Mrs/Mr MEP is not available, I am her/his assistant. Can I help you?"
- YOU: I am MyName, calling from MyCountry, I am very much concerned by the ACTA agreement.
- Assistant: I see. We had calls before. I have no time.
- YOU: But it is very important! The whole negotiations circumvented the democratic process and could radically alter the Internet and citizens' freedoms.
- Assistant: Don't worry. The text is not as bad as you've heard, everything will be fine.
- YOU: A paper by leading European law scholars shows that ACTA goes beyond the EU acquis. The ACTA agreement lets the Commission negotiate on civil and criminal sanctions. It is not just a trade agreement. The European Parliament must show its commitment to protecting EU citizens. Mrs/Mr MEP should vote against ACTA."
- Assistant: "I'll tell Mrs/Mr MEP."
- YOU: "Thank you very much for listening to me. If you wish, I can send you reference documents. I'll call you again shortly to know what he/she thought. Have a good day."