How to IRC
How to connect to La Quadrature's channel ?
- The simplest way to join us on IRC is to connect via the applet: http://www.laquadrature.net/chat (you can change the nickname if you wish, then just click the "connect" button).
- You can also connect to IRC via a client, that needs to be installed on your computer, like for example:
- HexChat - multiplateform
- irssi - multiplateform
- mIRC - Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2k/XP/Vista
First you have to log into the server:
Then you have to chose a nickname:
After that, you can join a chat room:
La Quadrature du Net's chat rooms
- #laquadrature: La Quadrature main chat room
- #laquadrature-en: La Quadrature English speaking chat room
During the Political Memory hackathon, this is the channel that will beis used for Political Memory 2 work related purposes.
- #lqdn-travail: Working channel
- #lqdn-rp: Press review team's channel
You can register your nickname so that you would be the only one to be able to use it. To do that, type in the box :
/msg nickserv REGISTER [Password] [Email]
You have to be connected under the nickname you want to register!
If you are registered and you want to log in, simply type :
/msg nickserv IDENTIFY [Password]
If you have rights (voice, IRCop, VHANNop), you can force the bot to give them to you via
Main IRC commands
When you are present but unavailable, you can change your status to absent. In order to do so, type the command
To change your nickname, type the command
To get help from the bot about available commands, use the command
/msg NickServ HELP
If the accents do not display properly, type the following commands:
- With HexChat type:
- With Irssi type:
/set term_charset UTF-8
Main commands of our bots
In addition to usual IRC commands, some commands are available to interact with bots.
!rp + URL includes the url in our press review. Use c (!rpc) if it quotes La Quadrature («According to la Quadrature, [...]»), use p (!rpp) if the subject is about La Quadrature («La Quadrature is a group that [...]»). We can also use both at the same time : !rpcp
!stats allows to see the statistics of articles published recently / not published yet
This command is used to take notes of what is going on during debates, most often in the national Parliament. Just type !tc<space><name of the speaker> followed by what he/she said or by the text describing the event going on.
Example: « !tc Albanel talks about IP address manufacturing », or else : « !tc Billard / Brard defend authors instead of majors »
To check out the next events added to our list.
- The IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is a protocol that allows live chatting with other users by logging in with a special software (named client) to an IRC server.